Week of the Young Child Contest!!
As part of the Week of the Young Child™ (WOYC) celebrated across the country, Texas Association for the Education of Young Children is honoring young children and all those who make a difference in children’s lives by showcasing meaningful awareness activities that Texans are doing to celebrate childhood while bringing attention to the importance of early care and education!
Week of the Young Child™ is a time for Texas to recognize the importance of early childhood. TXAEYC wants to recognize all that you do in promoting the importance of quality early childhood! Therefore, TXAEYC is asking that you participate in our early childhood outreach and awareness contest.
We want you to share what you are doing in recognition of WOYC and the impact that you make.
Here are the details of the TXAEYC WOYC contest.
Who can participate?
- College Students or early childhood student organizations: Faculty are encouraged to support awareness and impact efforts.
- Teachers, Directors, Trainers, Educators, Leaders, and Organizations
Everyone involved with early childhood education in Texas are encouraged to participate. You do not need to be a member of TXAEYC to participate.
TXAEYC is a bridge of collaboration and communication between early care and education and the communities we serve. As such, we want build collaboration by highlighting all the wonderful efforts, activities, and individuals who work with and on behalf of young children in our state.
What do the winners get?
Though everyone who positively works with and on behalf of young children is deserving of praise, TXAEYC will officially recognize one student leader/organization representative and one other individual (or group/school). The individuals and/or groups recognized will be publicly announced on TXAEYC’s Facebook page and in our monthly e-newsletter. Additionally,
- Each winner will be asked to showcase his or her WOYC efforts at the TXAEYC annual conference in San Antonio, Oct 18-21, 2017 in our Project Galleria.
- The two individual winners (1 student and one individual representing school or organization/chapter) will receive free registration to one day of the conference.
What you need to do?
Celebrate WOYC by doing something that brings meaningful awareness to the importance of quality early childhood experiences. Document your activities so that TXAEYC can showcase all that is happening in Texas. Ideas for documenting include:
- Post information, photos, or videos about a WOYC celebration/activity on your Facebook page and share on the TXAEYC Facebook page or, simply post and share a description of your event with pictures on the TAEYC Facebook page
- Reach out to policy makers, members of the media, local businesses, and community leaders about WOYC and retweet their responses on your Twitter page. Use #WOYCTEXAS, #WOYC and/or #TexasAEYC in your tweets so people can find your content
- Record a video of your WOYC awareness activities or create your own public service announcement and upload to YouTube. Use keywords WOYC and Texas AEYC when describing the video to help people find it. Share your video to raise awareness.
- Create a WOYC board on Pinterest and use it showcase your activities, pictures from your event, and/or articles in your local newspaper about your celebration. Use WOYC and TexasAEYC when describing so people can find your content.
- Encourage your local newspaper to publish an article about the importance of early childhood in your community.
For two weeks, spanning from April 17 until May 5th go on the TXAEYC Facebook page and post your activity or event. Include a link, image and/or video. Include a short description justifying how your activity impacted your community, organization, school, or our state.
You are also encouraged to post your event on the NAEYC Event Map
When is this happening?
Week of the Young Child official dates are April 24-28, 2017. Posts are encouraged April 24 until May 5th.
When will winners be announced?
Following May 5th, the TXAEYC Outreach and WOYC committees will choose two winners by May 12th.
Criteria: the committee will be looking for creative activities that clearly demonstrate a meaningful impact in heightening awareness of early childhood education at the organization, community, school, or regional level. Participants who effectively describe, share evidence of their WOYC activity and sufficiently justify the impact will be considered. The committee, by majority vote, will determine two winners. If an organization or school submits, the individual representing that entity will be announced as the winner on behalf of the school, childcare, or organization. TAEYC affiliates can submit and are strongly encouraged to do so.
TXAEYC LOOKS FORWARD TO SHOWCASING ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS HAPPENING IN TEXAS!
Specific questions about the contest can be emailed to Elizabeth Beavers, Outreach Committee Chair at BeaversEA@UHCL.edu
TXAEYC is an Affiliate of NAEYC, the largest organization of early childhood educators and others dedicated to improving the quality of early education programs for children birth through age 8. Founded in 1926, NAEYC has nearly 80,000 members and a national network of more than 300 local, state, and regional Affiliates. If you are interested in joining NAEYC and getting involved with TAEYC please explore the membership options.
Week of the Young Child – Local Affiliate Events